United We Stand Match Reports Page. United We Stand Match Reports Page. United We Stand Match Reports Page.

  Past News Page   Checkout www.flyordie.com for free online games
Click here to see some pictures from the Home game with Wycombe.
Ramon Diaz yellow and blue army got back to winning ways yesterday starting off the new year with a BANG, The 2-1 win over local rivals Wycombe Wanderers came at a price though with Chris Hackett being shown a red card on 33 minutes and the U's having to defend the fortress for the remaining hour, Hackett's dismissal was setup by the Wycombe players, What looked like a foul on Hackett on the edge of the area turned out to be a free kick for them and a sending off for us, Hackett looked like he was kick and then wrestled to the ground, then a host of players dived in and as he put his hands out to protect himself their player went down holding his face like he had been punched by Mike Tyson, all the good work the U's had done up until then looked like dwindling away, Before the Hackett sending off was the main event of the day, Jamie Brooks starting a new year with a piece of Magic that all Oxford United fans know, after good work with Tommy Mooney, Jamie ran into the area and smacked the ball with great force past Frank Talia to make it 1-0 and record his first league goal since 20th April 2002, there was a standing ovation for that goal and even had the scoreboard operator jumping up and down in the PA Box, it was a moment that most fans will remember for a long time-especially when you think what Jamie had been through and has surely put all the ghosts to rest now, Jamie was replaced at half time, but he had given his all for the first 45 minutes, just what he was asked of.
If you thought the 1st half was exciting then more was to come, Oxford won a free kick 25 yards out facing the Oxford Mail Stand, Lee Molyneaux ran up to take the kick and got everything behind it, So much so that it nearly knocked Steve Basham out as it hit his head and then fired past Talia to put the U's 2-0 up and send the Kassam Stadium into total bedlam, that much so that when I changed the score on the board it took 30 seconds for it to register, I think the shock wave around the ground almost knocked that out as well as Basham.
2-0 up and United cruising with 10 men you just thought-Things are going to well here, we were right, the ref was again done up like a kipper late on, after a spot of auditioning for the new superman movie Wycombe won a penalty and brought the score back to 2-1 with 5 minutes of added time remaining, with 1 minute of added time remaining Wycombe thought they had got the equaliser, but the ref ruled it out for a push as Ex U's target Broughton came running in to header home, there was a huge sigh of relief around the ground as the ref blew the whistle to end the game and a standing ovation for the players, who have stretched their unbeaten run this year to ONE, lets hope we can add to it tomorrow at Bury.